Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Ballad of a lost soul


I'll tell a tale, a thrilling tale of love beyond compare
I knew a lad not long ago more gorgeous than any I've seen.
And in his eyes I found myself a falling in love with the swain.
Oh, the glorious fellow I met by the ocean with eyes of deep-sea green!

He was a rugged sailor man with eyes of deep-sea green,
And I a maid, a tavern maid! Whose living was serving beer’s to drunks
So with a push and with a wave, off on his boat he sailed
and left me on the dock, the thief! Without my heart, oh dear!

And with a heart that's lost at sea, I go on living still.
I still am now still serving beer in that tavern by the sea.
And though the pay check's still the same, the money won't go as far
For now I feed not just myself, but my little one and me!

I woke up in the middle of the night.
All by myself
With nowhere to go and nowhere to hide
As my clock fell off the shelf

So let that be a lesson, dear, and keep your
I never did go back to sleep that night. heart safely hidden.
I gave mine to a sailing thief with mysterious eyes of green.
Save yours for a sweeter lad who makes the land his home.

1 comment:

James Horner said...

mysterious poem--rhyme lines 2 and 4